Entrepreneur, music lover, player of video games, and futurist.
Yesterday Super Mario 64 Online was released! Today we’re telling you how to make it work. If you are familiar with emulation, and have emulated N64 games before, this is very simple. If not, still very simple, but you have a few extra steps ahead of you.
If you have experience with emulators, please skip to the next section.
Downloading and installing Project 64 (free N64 emulator) and downloading Super Mario 64:
- Download the latest version of Project 64, and then proceed to install it on your PC.
- Download Super Mario 64 and place the .zip in a folder named Roms wherever you wish on your PC.
Setting up Super Mario 64 Online:
- Download Super_Mario_64_Online.
- Unzip and place Super Mario 64 Online folder within your Project 64 directory (advanced users may use whatever emulator they wish).
- Run Project 64, and load the Super Mario 64 rom.
- Navigate to the load save game screen and stop.
- Now in the Project 64 menu go to Options > Settings > Options > and if checked, UNCHECK “Hide Advanced Settings”
- Next, while still in the Settings menu, navigate to the Rom Settings tab. Change Memory Size from 4mb to 8mb. Click OK.
- To enable online capabilities, run SM64O.exe and either enter the IP address of a server you want to join, or place your own IP address and check “Check Server?” box.
- Select a character you wish to spawn in as in the “Select your Player” drop down menu.
- Now click “Connect to Server or “Create Server”.
- Navigate back to Project 64 where Super Mario 64 is still waiting at the savegame screen.
- In Project 64 press the F5 key and then press the F7 key. This will save your game state, and reload it, enabling Super Mario 64 Online access to the rom, giving you online capabilities!
- Now simply load a game save and you will join the server!